Pages

Saturday 23 July 2011

Targets

It seems that the whole world revolves around targets these days, but I find I write better and more frequently if I set my set goals and targets.

Each book or short story I write gets outlined to some degree. Some are so detailed that they make little stories all by themselves. Others are just a few lines that give a general gist of each scene I intend to write. I tend to decide what kind of word count I am aiming for right from the start so I can set a finish date once I start the writing proper.

My target is 1000 words a day and I usually hit it on weekdays. I struggle a little at weekends but, now and then, I manage to find a quiet moment. Like today, the house was pretty quiet and I sat in the garden amongst the chickens and hit my target on my netbook. Admittedly, once I finally looked up the chooks had pulled up my kohl rabi to make a dust bath, but I hit my target.

No comments:

Post a Comment